Mesmerizing waterfalls, crystal clear lakes and impressive mountains make up the city of Shillong. It is the capital of Meghalaya and an ideal place to unwind amidst natural beauty and serenity. The city gets its name from the deity Shyllong or Lei Shyllong. The city continues to receive in large quantities like nature’s blessings, including incessant rains. Cherrapunji, known as the wettest place on earth, is only 56 km from Shillong. In 1897, a strong earthquake had almost wiped out the city.
The people of Meghalaya rebuilt the city anew with sheer determination and hard work. Due to its beautiful lakes, waterfalls, pine forests and green mountains, the British used to call it the ‘Scotland of the East’. The British developed it like many other hill-stations during British Raj.
Places to visit in Shillong
Famous for water sports and a popular hangout. Located around 15 km from Shillong, it was created by damming the Umiam river. Kayaking, water cycling or scooting and…
Mahadev Khola Dham
Believed to be about 150 years old, the Mahadev Khola dam is a cave temple popular with SHiva devotees.
Shillong peak is considered as the most beautiful scenic place and also a romantic destination for newly weds and couples. Its a picnic spot and most visited by…
Elephant falls is a combination of 3 rivers. One of the British officers named it as Elephant falls after they saw a rock which resembled as an elephant.…
Lady Hydari Park
The is park is named after the first lady of this place. She was the wife of first governor of Shillong. The park being spread over an area…
This place is surrounded with the beautiful view of flowers blooming in an array. Situated in the middle of the city is this pleasant lake with boating facility.…
Things to do in Shillong
Shopping in Shillong
Lewduh market (Bara Bazaar) with its carnival atmosphere is a popular place. You will find thousands of Khasi tribals selling their wares like tribal baskets to fish traps…
Waterfall rapelling at Elephant falls is one of the most thrilling things to do in Shillong. You have to descend through or alongside the waterfall for this activity.…
Trekking at Shillong
There are many places in Shillong where you can go for trekking, from the trails of Living Root Bridge and Sohpet-bneng to Kyllang Rock and David Scott Trail.…
Biking, Cycling in Shillong
Some of the trekking routes are also ideal for Mountain biking, specifically the David Scott Trail, Cherapunjee Trail and the path to Mawphlang.
Tourist Places near Shillong
- 34.90 Km from Shillong.
- Cherrapunji in Meghalaya has several reasons to claim. It is the second wettest place on the planet and the only place in India to receive rain throughout…
- 70.19 Km from Shillong.
- Considered the gateway to the North-East region of India, Guwahati or ‘Gowhatty’ is the largest city in the region. An important administrative, trading center and a river…
- 117.81 Km from Shillong.
- Known as “the valley of death for birds”, Jatinga is situated nine km south of the town of Haflong in the Dima Hasao district of Assam.
- 122.97 Km from Shillong.
- Also known as “white ant hillock”, Haflong is the only hill station in Assam situated 310 km from Guwahati.
- Haflong hillstation is known for its beautiful landscapes,…
Nokrek National Park
- 177.27 Km from Shillong.
- Nokrek National Park in Meghalaya in North Eastern India is among the last remaining homes of the red pandas. The national park is also classified as a…
Nameri National Park
- 184.19 Km from Shillong.
- Situated in the foothills of the eastern Himalayas in the Sonitpur district of Assam, Nameri National Park is the last home to the White winged wood duck,…
- 215.42 Km from Shillong.
- Known for its medieval terracotta temples, the inspiring town of Bishnupur (Vishnupur) is situated in Bankura district of West Bengal.
- Bishnupur gets its name from Lord Vishnu,…
- 223.91 Km from Shillong.
- Situated in the centre of Manipur valley, Imphal is one of the ancient towns of India.
- Capital of the north-eastern state of Manipur, it is an ideal…
- 224.55 Km from Shillong.
- Nagaland, the land of the brave warrior Naga clan, is a hilly region with pleasant climate almost throughout the year.
- Colourful life and culture are an integral…
- 224.80 Km from Shillong.
- If Shangri-La conjures up images of earthly paradise isolated from the outside world, happy people, Buddhist chants floating in the air, mystical monks engrossed in prayers, then…
BOOK YOUR HOTEL AS PLAN YOUR HOLIDAY
How to reach Shilong
Shillong airport at Umroi connects only to Kolkata. You can get a taxi to Shillong from the airport.
Guwahati is the nearest railway station, around 100 km away. From station you can hire a taxi to Shillong. Guwahati is well-connected to all major railway stations of India.
The government of Shillong and Meghalaya provides good number of buses to and from Guwahati bus station. One can get down at this bus station and get a bus to Shillong. Its around 3 hours drive from Guwahati to Shillong. there are share taxis available at every spot.